All non-Ferrari powered Formula 1 teams have issued a statement regarding the FIA’s settlement with Ferrari after an investigation into their 2019 engine.
Concerns had been raised that Ferrari were acting outside of the rules in relation to their engine last year, and an investigation was conducted by the FIA.
The FIA concluded their investigation last month and confirmed that a settlement had been reached with the Maranello-based team, although no further details were released.
Now seven of the 10 F1 teams have issued a statement, saying they were “surprised and shocked” by the FIA’s decision and that they could take legal action over the matter, with the FIA’s wording not conclusively ruling out that Ferrari had broken the rules.
The statement also said that Ferrari had agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all F1 engines this year.
A statement issued jointly by McLaren, Mercedes, Racing Point, Red Bull, Renault, AlphaTauri and Williams said: “We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit.
“An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.
“After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.
“Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally. We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.
“In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.”