McLaren has confirmed that they are withdrawing their drivers from the Australian Grand Prix after a member of the team tested positive for Coronavirus.
The Woking-based team issued a statement on Thursday afternoon confirming that a member of their team had tested positive for the virus and as a duty of care, the team is withdrawing from the race.
A statement released by McLaren said: “McLaren Racing has confirmed this evening in Melbourne that it has withdrawn from the 2020 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix, following the positive test of a team member for the coronavirus.
“The team member was tested and self-isolated as soon as they started to show symptoms and will now be treated by local healthcare authorities.
“The team has prepared for this eventuality and has ongoing support in place for its employee who will now enter a period of quarantine.
“The team is cooperating with the relevant local authorities to assist their investigations and analysis.
“Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren Racing, and Andreas Seidl, Team Principal of McLaren F1, informed Formula 1 and the FIA of the decision this evening.
“The decision has been taken based on a duty of care not only to McLaren F1 employees and partners, but also to the team’s competitors, Formula 1 fans and wider F1 stakeholders.”
It is not currently known what affect this will have on the running of the opening race of the season, and Formula 1 is yet to make a formal statement.
Ross Brawn had previously said that if a team were unable to take part in a race due to the virus, then the Grand Prix would not go ahead.