Valtteri Bottas beats Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen to take his 17th career pole position.
Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas beat out the two title protagonists to pole position in today’s qualifying session. Bottas’ Q3 best of a 1:18.348 proved to be too good for the rest; he beat out his illustrious teammate Hamilton seven-thousandths of a second.
Verstappen saw his provisional pole time get deleted due to a track limits infringement at turn four. His teammate Sergio Perez took fourth place. Best of the rest was Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz as he out-qualified Charles Leclerc and Lando Norris.
Alpine’s Esteban Ocon capped off a brilliant session to snatch sixth place to entrench himself between the Ferrari’s and Norris’ sole Mclaren, as for the other Frenchman, Pierre Gasly starts ninth and 2021 Q3 debutant Sebastian Vettel rounded out the top ten.
Mr Saturday George Russell came agonisingly close to Q3, and he’ll start with from 11th. Alfa Romeo’s Antonio Giovanazzi goes from 12th as the Italian underlined his solid pace of this weekend.
Fernando Alonso endured a problematic session as he finished 13th, a long way behind his teammate. Furthermore, the problems are even more prominent for Daniel Ricciardo as the Australian didn’t get out of Q1.
He’ll race from 16th tomorrow, meanwhile, Lance Stroll also experienced a challenging session as he finished 17th. The usual suspects of the two Haas cars rounded out the grid in 19th and 20th.
- 1st Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes – 1m18:348s
- 2nd Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes – 1m18:355s
- 3rd Max Verstappen, Red Bull – 1m18.746s
- 4th Sergio Perez, Red Bull – 1m18.890s
- 5th Carlos Sainz, Red Bull – 1m19.039s
- 6th Esteban Ocon, Alpine – 1m19.042s
- 7th Lando Norris, Mclaren – 1m19.116s
- 8th Charles Leclerc, Ferrari – 1m19.306s
- 9th Pierre Gasly, Alpha Tauri – 1m19.375s
- 10th Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin – 1m19.659s
- 11th George Russell, Williams – 1m19.109s
- 12th Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo – 1m19.216s
- 13th Fernando Alonso, Alpine – 1m19.456s
- 14th Yuki Tsunoda, Alpha Tauri – 1m19.463s
- 15th Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo – 1m19.812s
- 16th Daniel Ricciardo, Mclaren – 1m19.839s
- 17th Lance Stroll, Aston Martin – 1m19.913s
- 18th Nicholas Latifi, Williams – 1m20.285s
- 19th Mick Schumacher, Haas – 1m20.452s
- 20th Nikita Mazepin, Haas – 1m20.912s